- Last week PA President Mahmoud Abbas reiterated that he will continue to boycott peace talks unless Israel gives up – in advance – claim to any territory beyond the 1967 lines. Meaning, for example, that the Jewish Quarter in Jerusalem is Palestinian territory.
- This is not just absurd. It violates every prior peace agreement. They all stipulate that such demands are to be the subject of negotiations, not their precondition.
- Abbas unwaveringly insists on the so-called “right of return,” which would demographically destroy Israel by swamping it with millions of Arabs, thereby turning the world’s only Jewish state into the world’s 23rd Arab state.
- The Palestinians are quite prepared to sign interim agreements, like Oslo. Framework agreements, like Annapolis. Cease-fires, like the 1949 armistice. Anything but a final deal. Anything but a treaty that ends the conflict once and for all – while leaving a Jewish state still standing.
- For nearly half a century, the U.S. has pursued a Middle East settlement on the basis of the formula of land for peace, which produced the Israel-Egypt peace of 1979 and the Israel-Jordan peace of 1994. Why did Abbas go to the UN last week? To get land without peace. Statehood without negotiations. An independent Palestine in a continued state of war with Israel.
- Land without peace is nothing but an invitation to national suicide.
(Charles Krauthammer – Washington Post)